About a month ago, a woman stopped me in the store to ask what song was playing and as I recall, it was a song from Paul Simon’s newest CD. She was so excited that she asked me to write down every CD we had in rotation that day, and I was happy to oblige! The list I gave her was: Paul Simon’s So Beautiful or So What, The Decemberists’ The King is Dead, Punch Brothers Antifogmatic, Chris Thile and Michael Daves’ Sleep With One Eye Open, and Patty Griffin’s Impossible Dream.
Here are my five favorites from those albums for your listening pleasure, and be sure to listen for them in the store!
Name: Juley Jenkinson
How long have you worked at The Rare Pair?
Three and a half years. My first day was Crazy Days… nothing like jumping in feet first!
Favorite brand (of the moment) that we carry?
Desigual is always a favorite for the bright colors and funky design. I also love !iT Jeans for their trendy fit and nice price.
What do you think is the most comfortable shoe at The Rare Pair?
Anyone that knows me well knows that I basically live in high heeled shoes! I’m so happy that we offer a nice selection of stylish but comfortable wedges and heels, like Børn and Indigo by Clarks.
What’s the strangest or funniest thing that’s happened to you while working at The Rare Pair?
One Sunday afternoon, the store clock stopped working at 2:40. I kept checking the clock, thinking the day was moving along so slowly, and I didn’t realize what had happened until I looked at the bank clock across the street – it was actually 3:45! Oops!
What do you like most about your job?
I love my coworkers! The Rare Pair has a wonderful group of women working there and I feel so fortunate to be a part of it. Being in the heart of downtown Northfield is always fun and exciting, too!
We got some beautiful rings in last week and I couldn’t wait to share them with you! They have this great 3-dimensional quality, and they’re truly among the most unique pieces I’ve ever seen.
Which is your favorite?
1. Merrell began in 1981 with a pair of boots made by Randy Merrell. That year, Backpacker Magazine named them “the most comfortable and functional boots in North America.” Quite an accomplishment!
2. Merrell takes sustainability seriously! All shoe boxes and packaging and 100% recyclable, and their tissue paper and shoe stuffers are made with 100% post-consumer content. They also use soy-based inks in their package printing.
3. The Jungle Moc was introduced for the first time in 1998. The slip-on “aftersport” style is a performance/casual crossover and was revolutionary in the shoe industry – the first of its kind!
4. Merrell participates in the Soles4Souls program and has sent more than 4,000 pairs of shoes to Haiti.
5. The Women’s Barefoot Pace Glove was declared the best trail running shoe by Shape Magazine in their 2011 shoe guide. It’s an extremely lightweight yet supportive shoe that’s perfect for all kinds of outdoor activity. The Rare Pair carries two colors – Caribbean Sea and Black.
Images via merrell.com
Just want to remind you that we’ll be closed this Sunday, April 8 for Easter, but be sure to stop in today or Saturday for some last-minute Easter basket goodies! Think spring scarves, earrings, brightly patterned Smartwool or a simple beaded bracelet. We also have plenty of colorful dresses, skirts and shoes if you’re still looking for something to wear on Sunday!
Here are six new tops that are guaranteed to make your outfit! I love a piece that’s got enough going on that the rest of the outfit doesn’t require a lot of thought. All you need is a great pair of jeans, a cami, and a cardigan or cute jacket to throw over the top. Keep your accessories simple; drop earrings or studs would be perfect, and a fun scarf would look great with these, too. You don’t want to distract too much from these pretty, floaty tops – they deserve to be center stage!
Which would you wear?